to improve health outcomes for
migrants & refugees
Why train with us?
Our training develops cultural competence by sharing the best available knowledge. Our training challenges and changes attitudes and increases people’s capacity for action.
We can assist you to:
- be aware of your cultural values and how they impact your work
- build your awareness and acceptance of cultural differences
- recognise that people from different cultures have different ways of communicating, behaving, interpreting and problem solving
- recognise that cultural beliefs impact on client’s beliefs, help-seeking activities and practices,
- improve interactions with care professionals and health and wellbeing outcomes.
Our training uses adult learning principles and we ensure our modules are interactive and outcome-focussed.
We recognise that training participants, like you:
- are independent, self-directed learners
- have accumulated knowledge from work-related activities, family and community responsibilities, and education and training
- are goal-oriented and value a structured learning program with clearly defined elements
- are relevancy-oriented and respond best to learning that is applicable to their work or other responsibilities
Types of training
‘Introduction to Cultural Competence’ is an interactive training which will help you to be culturally responsive to your diverse clients. This training is pitched at an introductory level for people who are already working in culturally responsive settings. Training will take 30-40 minutes and can be accessed from any computer with internet access. You can complete the training at your own pace, progress is saved and you can continue the training from where you left.
We also offer content customisation to adapt the training for your organisational specific requirements. Contact us for more details.
Training at your workplace
We can tailor a training program to the needs of your workplace. Our workshops will help your staff to understand and overcome specific challenges relating to their work with clients from diverse backgrounds. We work with staff at all levels, from new employees to management, frontline and service delivery staff. Not sure what kind of training you’re after?
We provide free community education sessions to people from refugee, migrant, asylum seekers backgrounds, and international students at selected institutions.
As we are not funded to work with the broad international students population at this time, we need to charge a small fee to universities.
Our education sessions focus on healthy and respectful relationships, consent, gender equity, sexual health, contraception, cultural understanding, sexually transmissible infections (STIs), and blood borne viruses (BBVs).
We work with communities to understand and reduce the harms associated with drug use.
We deliver information in a culturally responsive way that aims to decrease stigma and discrimination.
If you are interested in a topic that is not listed, please contact us to see if we are able to build a session that suits your needs.
Health Literacy Course
You can help improve the health and wellbeing of people in Australia by implementing health literacy strategies at your organisation. Health literacy refers to the degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information. The Health Literacy Course provides your organisation with strategies, knowledge and skills to respond to health literacy at the client/provider through to organisational levels.
CEH online training portal
We deliver all our online training through a cloud based Learning management System (LMS). We can accommodate both individual and organisational accounts.
When you purchase one of our online training you will be given immediate access to CEH Online (our online learning portal). You can then login and start your training straight away.
Our organisational account provides you with a dedicated online learning portal and a customised look and feel for your organisation (think logo, colour scheme). Other features include:
- A dedicated URL (web address) for your organisational online learning portal
- An ‘admin account’ type for tracking learners’ progress and completion
- A discussions forum dedicated to your learners
- Additional customisation including: customised content on the homepage, internal/external announcements, links to policy/procedure documents of your organisation, etc.
Organisations we’ve trained
As part of our Employee Induction Program, CEH conducts in-house sessions with new employees. Our municipality is a large, culturally diverse community, so training focuses on equipping staff with skills for working with interpreters and helping them to gain an understanding of the complexities of issues of working with CALD communities.
City of Dandenong
Organisational Development Officer
CEH has worked closely with WRHC over many years to improve staff capacity and organisational systems in relation to cultural competence. CEH has shown flexibility and responsiveness when it comes to tailoring training content and adapting strategies as WRHC develops and advances its approach.
cohealth (formerly Western Region Health Centre)
Senior Advisor, Access and Engagement
I want to let CEH know how pleased we were with the quality of the training recently delivered to service providers in Shepparton. I have heard fantastic feedback from a number of participants. One of the multicultural specific staff in our team attended the training and she was very impressed with the training – and although she has worked in a multicultural specific role for many years, she came away with some helpful tips and new ideas.
Practice Manager, Child and Family Services