Using the teach-back technique
This resource is available in pdf.
What is the teach-back technique?
The teach-back technique is a tool that service providers can use when communicating with clients who have low health literacy. It assists service providers improve client comprehension.
Steps in the teach-back technique
- Explain one concept of a diagnosis or treatment plan to the client
- Then assess the client’s recall and understanding by asking the client to explain what you said
- Repeat the process until the client can demonstrate they have a satisfactory understanding of the information
- Introduce the next concept
Key elements for using teach-back
- Be mindful of the amount of information conveyed at one time. The information should be broken up into small chunks so it can be relayed easily and avoid confusion
- Use correct phrasing so that the client doesn’t feel like they are being tested
Good practice example
A GP is finishing her consultation with a patient and is adjusting the patient’s medication. She uses the phrase ‘I want to be sure that I explained your medication correctly. Can you tell me how you are going to take this medicine?’ She emphasises that she is merely asking in order to do her job correctly.
The Centre for Culture, Ethnicity & Health (CEH) today announced that its Health Translations Directory will be expanded to enable more Victorians to get better access to health information supported by funding from the Department of Health and Human Services.read more
Not sure where to start when translating materials? This 6-step guide provides you with easy steps, which will help you produce a translated resource that is accurate and culturally appropriate.read more
This video shows highlights from a Health Literacy course run in collaboration with the Inner and Outer East Primary Care Partnerships.read more
We have developed a resource for practitioners which demonstrates the ‘teach back’ technique in a hepatitis B context, in partnership with St Vincent’s Hospital and the Melbourne Primary Care Network.read more
Let us inform you about our EVENTS & NEWS?